This is a great class for beginners and for those who would like to improve their basic skills or are new to oil painting. The class first focuses on drawing in order to understand proportions and the use of contrast to describe the form. We will next, move into the medium of oil paint to learn color mixing and how to use a painterly approach to construct form, value, and saturation.
Basic drawing skill is recommended. (Anyone who wishes to start with beginning drawing can choose to do so the first few weeks and then work their way into the oil painting course).
BRUSHES: Trekell brand
- Bristle Filbert # 2 (at least 3 brushes)
- Bristle Filbert # 4 (at least 3 brushes)
- Red Sable Round 5500 Series # 6 (at least 3 brushes)
- Golden Taklon Cat’s Tongue 2560 Series # 6 (at least 2 brushes)
- Legion Round 9100R Series # 6 (at least 2 brushes)
- Odorless mineral spirits in brush cleaner container with lid.
- Oleogel (Rublev)
- Viva Paper towels (least 1 roll). – Viva is a Kleenex brand and is recommended.
Large palette: 16×20 in. – 18×24 in.
- Wooden palette preferred, treated to prevent paint absorption from the oils in the paints. To treat, apply a coat of regular or quick-dry polyurethane. Let dry, sand lightly. Apply additional coats if necessary.
CANVAS OR PANEL SUPPORTS
- You will need canvases or panels 16×20 or 18×24. All canvases should be toned raw umber.
- Permanent Rose (Windsor and Newton)
- Burnt Sienna (Windsor and Newton)
- Yellow Ochre Deep (Michael Harding)
- Cadmium Yellow Light (Windsor and Newton)
- Titanium White (Windsor and Newton)
- Cadmium Red Light (Windsor and Newton)
- Phthalo Green (Gamblin)
- Ultramarine Blue (Windsor and Newton)
These are the colors on the instructor’s palette. It is not necessary to purchase all these colors. Students may use the palette they are already using at home, pick from this list to add to their current palette or purchase all the colors on this list. Teacher may make recommendations of colors to add to your palette during the class.
Natalya’s early passion for painting and drawing was driven by her father, the highly regarded and practiced artist and teacher Semyon Bilmes. Her father made art lessons a tentative and dedicated practice throughout his children’s homeschooling years in a small bohemian town in Oregon. Natalya’s skills have been rigorously developed through dedication and consistent exercising of traditional techniques. She has an ability to capture beyond what the mundane eye can see, exposing personality from her subjects.
Living abroad in Turkey as a child has influenced her artistic aesthetic and inspired her to bring textures, colors and history from that part of the world into her work.
With nature as her ultimate teacher, and watercolor as a preferred medium, Natalya’s pairing of earth-rooted tones with rich jewel accents creates her signature look.
Natalya currently resides in Los Angeles where she continues to develop her art and teaching career.
Registration and Payment Plans
Students must be paid in full prior to the first day of class when enrolled in an Extension Course or Workshop, except those with a payment plan agreement. Please visit the Main Office at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the class, to complete any pending registration issues.
Payment Plans: A 3% Payment Plan Fee will be assessed, with a maximum charge of $35. The Payment Plan Fee, $20 Registration Fee, plus 50% of the total tuition owing must be paid on or before the first day of class. The remaining 50% of the tuition can be paid with a post-dated check (dated 1 month later) or with a signed Credit Card Authorization Form.
There is a $35.00 fee for all checks returned as N.S.F. (Non-Sufficient Funds).
Course Changes or Cancellations
LAAFA reserves the right to cancel any class, limit class size, change class times or substitute instructors for those listed in the schedule.
If a class is cancelled, students will be issued a full refund or may transfer with no fee to another class.
If an instructor must leave after a term has begun, and no suitable substitute is available, the student will be refunded a pro-rated amount.
Refunds and Transfers
All classes, uninstructed workshops, Visiting Artist Workshops and artist demonstrations are non-refundable. You may request to drop for credit (see next paragraph) or transfer into another class.
You have two weeks to evaluate each class and decide whether you want to drop for credit (a dollar amount calculated based on the receipt of request) or transfer into a new class. Requests must be submitted before the start of the third session, via email to email@example.com. A $25 Drop/Transfer Fee is assessed. Credit will be valid for a full year and is non-refundable. It can be applied toward any Extension Course, Workshop or Visiting Artist Event at LAAFA.
All Visiting Artist Workshops and artist demonstrations are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Absences and Make-Ups
One free make-up session is allowed per quarter, per class. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, at least 3 days in advance, with the course and date you wish to attend as a make-up. Make-up sessions aren’t transferable to future quarters.
- If you arrive late, please enter quietly. If you have equipment to set up, please wait for a break to set up so that you do not disrupt the class.
- The front row of benches is reserved for sitting individuals.
- Economize your workspace to accommodate fellow artists.
- Please refrain from talking to the models while they are posing. Photography is not allowed without the express permission of the model. The model may require a photography fee.
- Please refrain from personal discussions while class is in session. Be sure to switch cell phone ringers OFF.
- Don’t comment on others’ work unless it is solicited.
- Animals are not permitted, with the exception of assistance dogs for the disabled.
- Please clean up your work area and properly dispose of your waste after class. Use the Brush Cleaning Closet, not the bathroom sinks, to clean your hands, paintbrushes and other art tools.
- No Turpentine or smelly solvents and mediums are allowed. Odorless Mineral Spirits is preferred.
Uninstructed Workshop Policy
- There will only be 16 spots allowed in the workshops. Entry in the workshop is on a first come, first served basis. Students paying on a per-day basis will be admitted at the start time of the workshop if space is available.
- Please note that all students must pay prior to the start of each workshop or class when paying on a per-day basis, and prior to entering the workshop to set up.
- A monitor appointed by LAAFA will set up all uninstructed workshops. Once the pose is set, there will be no changes.
- Any suggestions or comments, please email us at email@example.com.
LAAFA Payment Plan
For those students needing extra time during the quarter to pay for their classes, LAAFA offers a payment plan. Pay for half of your tuition cost prior to your class start date and then half-way through pay your remaining balance. Only for a 3% fee!
Student will be unable to continue in the program if all of the payment requirements are not met.
PayPal – Bill Me Later
Students have the option to purchase classes by PayPal. One of the features of PayPal is a “Bill Me Later” promotion that includes: No Payment + No Interest if paid for within 6 months! Subject to credit approval.
Receive 15% off the total price of $1500 or more for on-campus instructed classes. Promo Code: multi15
New Student Discount
Students who are new to LAAFA receive up to a $50 off toward one instructed class. Please call (818) 708-9232 to receive your coupon for the class in order to take advantage of this offer. (Workshops are excluded.)
For those 65 years and older, receive up to $50 off toward one instructed class per quarter. Please call (818) 708-9232 to receive your coupon for the class in order to take advantage of this offer. (Workshops are excluded.)
Refer a new student and once they have completed an instructed class at LAAFA, you are entitled to receive $50 off toward one instructed class in the following quarter, of equal or greater value. Please call (818) 708-9232 to receive your coupon for the class in order to take advantage of this offer. (Workshops are excluded.)
CSATTF Tuition Reimbursement Program
Through this program, members of Art Directors Guild (Local 800), Animation Guild (Local 839), Costume Designers Guild (Local 892), Motion Picture Costumers (Local 705), Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild (Local 706) are able to apply for:
Reimbursement of two-thirds the tuition cost for CSATTF approved classes and workshops.
PLEASE NOTE: Your reimbursement is based on the approved amount from CSATTF. If tuition is lower, you will be reimbursed only up to two-thirds of the actual amount paid. If tuition is higher, you will be responsible to pay the difference and only be reimbursed up to two-thirds of the approved amount from CSATTF.You may visit the Animation Guild website for instructions and forms to submit: http://animationguild.org/grant-classes/
Discounts cannot be combined. Certain classes may be excluded. Other restrictions may apply.