In this class, we will focus on life painting methods to explore and understand the gesture, expression and structure of the human form. Students will work in oil, with a strong emphasis put on composition. Through multiple live demonstrations as well as one-on-one critiques, students will be taught the principles of proportion, form, tonal relationships, and how to capture the character of the subject. In this intensive observation, students will explore the uniqueness of individual features and their relationship to each other as part of a coherent whole. Emphasis will be placed on understanding the foundational technical elements of painting, as well as the artist’s analysis and interpretation. This class will begin with shorter studies followed by considerably longer poses… Giving students ample time to explore the various stages of a finished piece.
A demonstration will be held on the first day.
BRUSHES: Trekell brand
• Bristle Filbert # 2 (at least 3 brushes)
• Bristle Filbert # 4 (at least 3 brushes)
• Red Sable Round 5500 Series # 6 (at least 3 brushes)
• Golden Taklon Cat’s Tongue 2560 Series # 6 (at least 2 brushes)
• Legion Round 9100R Series # 6 (at least 2 brushes)
• Odorless mineral spirits in brush cleaner container with lid.
• Oleogel (Rublev)
• Viva Paper towels (least 1 roll). – Viva is a Kleenex brand and is recommended.
Large palette: 16×20 in. – 18×24 in.
• Wooden palette preferred, treated to prevent paint absorption from the oils in the paints. To treat, apply a coat of regular or quick-dry polyurethane. Let dry, sand lightly. Apply additional coats if necessary.
CANVAS OR PANEL SUPPORTS
• You will need one 12×16 in. canvas for study and two larger canvases -16×20 in. or 18×24 in. – for final painting. All canvases should be toned raw umber. Alkyd Oil toning on oil primed supports may be desirable for the one or two longer poses.
• Permanent Rose (Windsor and Newton)
• Burnt Sienna (Windsor and Newton)
• Yellow Ochre Deep (Michael Harding)
• Cadmium Yellow Light (Windsor and Newton)
• Titanium White (Windsor and Newton)
• Cadmium Red Light (Windsor and Newton)
• Phthalo Green (Gamblin)
• Ultramarine Blue (Windsor and Newton)
These are the colors on the instructor’s palette. It is not necessary to purchase all these colors. Students may use the palette they are already using at home, pick from this list to add to their current palette or purchase all the colors on this list. Teacher may make recommendations of colors to add to your palette during the class.
Daniel Bilmes is a contemporary painter, working in Los Angeles. His approach is characterized by deep personal exploration, combining realism with elements of symbolism and abstraction. Through tactile textures and delicate expressions, his paintings weave together the magical and mundane. His work is at once hopeful and brooding. Realistic and symbolic. Somewhere between the vitality of the Russian circus and the gravitas of a Churchill speech.
Daniel began his art education at the age of 8 under the tutelage of his father, the respected artist and educator, Semyon Bilmes. Being immersed in art from such an early age had a profound impact on his personal growth and creativity, laying a lasting foundation of curiosity that continues to drive and inform his work today.
Registration and Payment Plans
Students must be paid in full prior to the first day of class when enrolled in an Extension Course or Workshop, except those with a payment plan agreement. Please visit the Main Office at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the class, to complete any pending registration issues.
Payment Plans: A 3% Payment Plan Fee will be assessed, with a maximum charge of $35. The Payment Plan Fee, $20 Registration Fee, plus 50% of the total tuition owing must be paid on or before the first day of class. The remaining 50% of the tuition can be paid with a post-dated check (dated 1 month later) or with a signed Credit Card Authorization Form.
There is a $35.00 fee for all checks returned as N.S.F. (Non-Sufficient Funds).
Course Changes or Cancellations
LAAFA reserves the right to cancel any class, limit class size, change class times or substitute instructors for those listed in the schedule.
If a class is cancelled, students will be issued a full refund or may transfer with no fee to another class.
If an instructor must leave after a term has begun, and no suitable substitute is available, the student will be refunded a pro-rated amount.
Refunds and Transfers
All classes, uninstructed workshops, Visiting Artist Workshops and artist demonstrations are non-refundable. You may request to drop for credit (see next paragraph) or transfer into another class.
You have two weeks to evaluate each class and decide whether you want to drop for credit (a dollar amount calculated based on the receipt of request) or transfer into a new class. Requests must be submitted before the start of the third session, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A $25 Drop/Transfer Fee is assessed. Credit will be valid for a full year and is non-refundable. It can be applied toward any Extension Classes or Workshop & Events at LAAFA.
All Visiting Artist Workshops and artist demonstrations are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Absences and Make-Ups
One free make-up session is allowed per quarter, per class. Please email us at email@example.com, at least 3 days in advance, with the course and date you wish to attend as a make-up. Make-up sessions aren’t transferable to future quarters.
- If you arrive late, please enter quietly. If you have equipment to set up, please wait for a break to set up so that you do not disrupt the class.
- The front row of benches is reserved for sitting individuals.
- Economize your workspace to accommodate fellow artists.
- Please refrain from talking to the models while they are posing. Photography is not allowed without the express permission of the model. The model may require a photography fee.
- Please refrain from personal discussions while class is in session. Be sure to switch cell phone ringers OFF.
- Don’t comment on others’ work unless it is solicited.
- Animals are not permitted, with the exception of assistance dogs for the disabled.
- Please clean up your work area and properly dispose of your waste after class. Use the Brush Cleaning Closet, not the bathroom sinks, to clean your hands, paintbrushes and other art tools.
- No Turpentine or smelly solvents and mediums are allowed. Odorless Mineral Spirits is preferred.
Uninstructed Workshop Policy
- There will only be 16 spots allowed in the workshops. Entry in the workshop is on a first come, first served basis. Students paying on a per-day basis will be admitted at the start time of the workshop if space is available.
- Please note that all students must pay prior to the start of each workshop or class when paying on a per-day basis, and prior to entering the workshop to set up.
- A monitor appointed by LAAFA will set up all uninstructed workshops. Once the pose is set, there will be no changes.
- Any suggestions or comments, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For students needing extra time during the quarter to pay for their classes, tuition can be paid off in two payments. A 3% Payment Plan Fee is charged on all courses. Not available with online registration, must register in person.
How it works:
50% of the tuition, the 3% Payment Plan Fee and the $20 Non-Refundable Registration Fee is due on or before the first day of class. The remaining 50% of the tuition must be remitted with a post-dated check or with a signed Credit Card Authorization Form. Student will be advised of the date (mid-point of the classes) to put on the check/Credit Card Authorization Form.
Student will be unable to continue their classes if all of the payment requirements are not met.
One of the features of PayPal is a “Bill Me Later” promotion that includes: No Payment + No Interest if paid for within 6 months! Subject to credit approval.
Receive 15% off the total price of $1,500 or more for on-campus instructed classes. For online registration, use coupon code: multi15
New Student Discount
Students who are new to LAAFA receive up to a $50 off toward one instructed class. Please call (818) 708-9232 to receive your coupon for the class in order to take advantage of this offer.
For those 65 years and older, receive up to $50 off toward one instructed class per quarter. Please call (818) 708-9232 to receive your coupon for the class in order to take advantage of this offer.
Refer a new student and once they have completed an instructed class at LAAFA, you are entitled to receive up to $50 off toward one instructed class in the following quarter, of equal or greater value. Please call (818) 708-9232 to receive your coupon for the class in order to take advantage of this offer. Can be combined with the Senior Discount. Exclusions: Workshop & Events.
LAAFA is approved to participate in the 2019-2020 CSATF Vendor-Provided Training Program.
Through the program, members of Local 44, Local 695, Motion Picture Costumers (Local 705), Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild (Local 706), Local 755, Art Directors Guild (Local 800), The Animation Guild (Local 839), Local 871, The Studio Teachers Union (Local 884), and Costume Designers Guild (Local 892) are able to apply for:
Reimbursement of two-thirds the tuition cost for CSATF-approved classes and workshops. Click on the following link for CSATF’s application forms and approved list of classes: https://www.csatf.org/local-multipro_vendor-provided_training_skills_training_application-m21778/.
PLEASE NOTE: Your reimbursement is based on the approved amount from CSATF. If tuition is lower, you will be reimbursed only up to two-thirds of the actual amount paid. If tuition is higher, you will be responsible to pay the difference and only be reimbursed up to two-thirds of the approved amount from CSATF. You must be approved through CSATF before the start of the class.
Discounts cannot be combined. Certain classes may be excluded. Other restrictions may apply.
16926 Saticoy Street
Van Nuys, CA 91406
Phone Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:30 AM-5:30 PM
Main Office: Mon-Fri, 9:30 AM-5:30 PM