This is a class for all artists, new and seasoned, as we delve into the theory of color keys and chromatic concepts. Controlling the painting from a color level allows the artist more freedom to find the right mood for the picture besides the mood the light source creates. We will learn to control the chromatic scales, from high-key to low-key and everything in between as well as work with variations of lighting from natural to direct and colored lighting. There will be lectures on the structure of the skull, planes, how light changes across them, the features and more. The poses will vary from 1 week to 2 weeks each.
Canvases up to 16 x 20
• Palettes and paint boxes to store extra unused paint
• Palette for color theory if you want to learn this specific theory developed by Sorolla and the Valencia Art Academy: Titanium White, Cad Yellow Pale, Cad Yellow Orange, Cad Red Light, Alizarin Crimson, Red Rose Deep, Ultramarine Blue, Cerulean Blue, Viridian Green, Ivory Black.
If you want to limit this palette due to cost, get the white, black, yellow pale a yellow ochre, the red light and alizarin and Ultramarine blue
• Brushes Filberts and Flats, ¼ inch to ½ inch a few each bristles, and a few sable filberts to blend with, ¼ inch each and a sable round for drawing
• Gamsol Turp with a glass jar or paint can to put it in
• Rags or paper towels to clean up with
• Plastic bag or trash bag to clean up mess at own easel
• Palette Knife for mixing paint
Ron Lemen has had an eclectic artistic past working consistently in the entertainment art industry and as an art instructor. Ron first went in to the Action Sports Industry working as a layout artist, logo designer, and board graphic illustrator. Moving in to more involved illustrations and conceptual design, he went back to school and is a graduate of the Atelier System, classically trained, and a former pupil of Sebastian Capella, Spanish portrait virtuoso.
Ron Lemen has been a concept designer and art director in the video game industry for 10 years with dozens of clients including Sony, Activision, Ubi Soft, Mattel and more. Now freelancing full-time, his clients include Upper Deck, Dragon lance, White Wolf, Time Warner, Wizards of the Coast, Image Comics, Birdhouse Projects, Ride Snowboards, Disney, and more.
In addition, to illustrating and Portrait Painting, Ron has been an art instructor for the last 16 years.
Registration and Payment Plans
Students must be paid in full prior to the first day of class when enrolled in an Extension Course or Workshop, except those with a payment plan agreement. Please visit the Main Office at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the class, to complete any pending registration issues.
Payment Plans: A 3% Payment Plan Fee will be assessed, with a maximum charge of $35. The Payment Plan Fee, $20 Registration Fee, plus 50% of the total tuition owing must be paid on or before the first day of class. The remaining 50% of the tuition can be paid with a post-dated check (dated 1 month later) or with a signed Credit Card Authorization Form.
There is a $35.00 fee for all checks returned as N.S.F. (Non-Sufficient Funds).
Course Changes or Cancellations
LAAFA reserves the right to cancel any class, limit class size, change class times or substitute instructors for those listed in the schedule.
If a class is cancelled, students will be issued a full refund or may transfer with no fee to another class.
If an instructor must leave after a term has begun, and no suitable substitute is available, the student will be refunded a pro-rated amount.
Refunds and Transfers
All classes, uninstructed workshops, Visiting Artist Workshops and artist demonstrations are non-refundable. You may request to drop for credit (see next paragraph) or transfer into another class.
You have two weeks to evaluate each class and decide whether you want to drop for credit (a dollar amount calculated based on the receipt of request) or transfer into a new class. Requests must be submitted before the start of the third session, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A $25 Drop/Transfer Fee is assessed. Credit will be valid for a full year and is non-refundable. It can be applied toward any Extension Classes or Workshop & Events at LAAFA.
All Visiting Artist Workshops and artist demonstrations are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Absences and Make-Ups
One free make-up session is allowed per quarter, per class. Please email us at email@example.com, at least 3 days in advance, with the course and date you wish to attend as a make-up. Make-up sessions aren’t transferable to future quarters.
- If you arrive late, please enter quietly. If you have equipment to set up, please wait for a break to set up so that you do not disrupt the class.
- The front row of benches is reserved for sitting individuals.
- Economize your workspace to accommodate fellow artists.
- Please refrain from talking to the models while they are posing. Photography is not allowed without the express permission of the model. The model may require a photography fee.
- Please refrain from personal discussions while class is in session. Be sure to switch cell phone ringers OFF.
- Don’t comment on others’ work unless it is solicited.
- Animals are not permitted, with the exception of assistance dogs for the disabled.
- Please clean up your work area and properly dispose of your waste after class. Use the Brush Cleaning Closet, not the bathroom sinks, to clean your hands, paintbrushes and other art tools.
- No Turpentine or smelly solvents and mediums are allowed. Odorless Mineral Spirits is preferred.
Uninstructed Workshop Policy
- There will only be 16 spots allowed in the workshops. Entry in the workshop is on a first come, first served basis. Students paying on a per-day basis will be admitted at the start time of the workshop if space is available.
- Please note that all students must pay prior to the start of each workshop or class when paying on a per-day basis, and prior to entering the workshop to set up.
- A monitor appointed by LAAFA will set up all uninstructed workshops. Once the pose is set, there will be no changes.
- Any suggestions or comments, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For students needing extra time during the quarter to pay for their classes, tuition can be paid off in two payments. A 3% Payment Plan Fee is charged on all courses. Not available with online registration, must register in person.
How it works:
50% of the tuition, the 3% Payment Plan Fee and the $20 Non-Refundable Registration Fee is due on or before the first day of class. The remaining 50% of the tuition must be remitted with a post-dated check or with a signed Credit Card Authorization Form. Student will be advised of the date (mid-point of the classes) to put on the check/Credit Card Authorization Form.
Student will be unable to continue their classes if all of the payment requirements are not met.
One of the features of PayPal is a “Bill Me Later” promotion that includes: No Payment + No Interest if paid for within 6 months! Subject to credit approval.
Receive 15% off the total price of $1,500 or more for on-campus instructed classes. For online registration, use coupon code: multi15
New Student Discount
Students who are new to LAAFA receive up to a $50 off toward one instructed class. Please call (818) 708-9232 to receive your coupon for the class in order to take advantage of this offer.
For those 65 years and older, receive up to $50 off toward one instructed class per quarter. Please call (818) 708-9232 to receive your coupon for the class in order to take advantage of this offer.
Refer a new student and once they have completed an instructed class at LAAFA, you are entitled to receive up to $50 off toward one instructed class in the following quarter, of equal or greater value. Please call (818) 708-9232 to receive your coupon for the class in order to take advantage of this offer. Can be combined with the Senior Discount. Exclusions: Workshop & Events.
LAAFA is approved to participate in the 2019-2020 CSATF Vendor-Provided Training Program.
Through the program, members of Local 44, Local 695, Motion Picture Costumers (Local 705), Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild (Local 706), Local 755, Art Directors Guild (Local 800), The Animation Guild (Local 839), Local 871, The Studio Teachers Union (Local 884), and Costume Designers Guild (Local 892) are able to apply for:
Reimbursement of two-thirds the tuition cost for CSATF-approved classes and workshops. Click on the following link for CSATF’s application forms and approved list of classes: https://www.csatf.org/local-multipro_vendor-provided_training_skills_training_application-m21778/.
PLEASE NOTE: Your reimbursement is based on the approved amount from CSATF. If tuition is lower, you will be reimbursed only up to two-thirds of the actual amount paid. If tuition is higher, you will be responsible to pay the difference and only be reimbursed up to two-thirds of the approved amount from CSATF. You must be approved through CSATF before the start of the class.
Discounts cannot be combined. Certain classes may be excluded. Other restrictions may apply.
16926 Saticoy Street
Van Nuys, CA 91406
Phone Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:30 AM-5:30 PM
Main Office: Mon-Fri, 9:30 AM-5:30 PM