FOCUS ON CHARCOAL DRAWING & PAINTING METHODS
CALLING ALL EMERGING TEEN ARTISTS!
Join us in person for our annual Summer Art Program, instructed by Emily Michels and Johanna Spinks!
This INTENSIVE program is designed for serious teens who are interested in learning charcoal drawing and painting. Johanna will focus on each student’s individual trajectory. You will work on group projects and are welcome the use of the class for independent projects or study. Students will expand their knowledge of techniques in value, color, and composition through drawing and painting. This program is designed for teens who have at least basic fundamental skills in drawing and are interested in expanding their technical skills in drawing and painting.
Projects may include master copy studies, still life and using casts. This program incorporates art history lessons and demonstrations in a variety of wet and dry media. Students work at their own pace with a goal of finished project(s) for a portfolio or personal achievement.
*New students signing up for the second and third sessions only with limited drawing/painting skills will be given a combination of class curriculum and personal projects based on skill level. Current sample artwork will be requested for assessment.
**If student is showing signs of being sick, they will be required to wear a face mask and provide proof of a negative COVID test to attend class.
***Program must meet minimum student registrations to run.
WEEK 1 – 2
- Drawing Warmups
- Create a Five Value Charcoal Scale
- Instructor Demo
- Still Life in Charcoal or Conte
- Casts in Charcoal or Conte
- Create a Portrait in Charcoal or Conte
- Art History: Master Drawings
WEEK 2 – 3
- Special Instructor Showcase: 365 Days of Drawing
- Introduction to Grisaille
- Grisaille Techniques: Painting in Black and White
- Instructor Demo
- Still Life | Cast | Portrait | Figure (Advanced Students)
- Master Copy of Vermeer’s “Girl With A Pearl Earring”
- Art History: Vermeer, the tonal Dutch Master of Light
WEEK 3 – 4
- Advanced Drawing Techniques
- Painting: Color and Values
- Color Wheel | Color Chart
- Color Master Copy: Monet or Degas
- Instructor Demo: Color and Value
- Student’s Choice: Master Copy, Cast or Still Life
- Art History: Master’s of Value and Color; Modern Day Masters
- Introduction to Illustration: Including Instructor Demo
- Painting Techniques: Palette Knife, Simple Gold Leaf